Sunday Ragu Sauce is a lovely Italian comfort food that is perfect to make on a Sunday afternoon, hence the name. This is not a complicated recipe, but it takes awhile for all of the flavors to meld together. I adapted this from a recipe on Bon Appetit’s website. The Ragu sauce on its own is tasty, but we love to mix it with Capello’s fettuccine noodles. These noodles are gluten free, dairy free and grain free! They taste just like fresh pasta, and we have served this dish to many friends and family to which they “scold” us for not eating a Paleo meal…little did they know it was Paleo!
The sauce can be made 2 days ahead which will also help the flavors meld that much more. Enjoy!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2-3 large shallots
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3 slices bacon finely chopped
- ¾ cup red wine
- 2½ cups chicken or beef stock
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- Saute carrots, celery, shallots in olive oil for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Add beef, pork and bacon and brown for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine and boil for 1 minute.
- Add stock and tomato paste and blend all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 1- 1½hrs, stirring occasionally.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- During the last half hour, boil water and cook pasta to preference, combine sauce and pasta once pasta is done cooking.
Jen Pedri is a pediatric Speech-language Pathologist by day and a Paleonista at-home chef by night. After years of battling health issues she decided to start eating Paleo/Primal in 2013. It has been by far the best decision of her life (beside adopting her dog and marrying her hubby). Her health issues have greatly diminished and she has grown to absolutely love cooking without gluten and grains because of how amazing it makes her feel. She hopes you enjoy her recipes as much as her family does!
Do you have a favorite recipe you enjoy making on the weekends?