When I first started exercising on a regular basis, I was almost 100 pounds overweight. It’s tough enough gathering the courage to work out at all, but add to that the pain of trying to find workout cloths that fit. You may want to throw in the towel all together. Thankfully the fitness industry now offers more cute and comfortable plus-size options. Here are 25 fitness wear options for plus-size women.
If you are plus-size and work out, first of all I want to say, YOU ROCK, MY FRIEND! I know it’s hard. Getting up the courage to step outside for a walk or run or to go through the gym doors, is really tough.
Please don’t quit. You are doing this amazing thing for yourself, and the people who are there are silently applauding you. I know I am. I am only inspired and impressed by you.
Be sure you download this free guide, Things No One Ever Told Me About Fitness…When I Was Overweight and Out of Shape. Members of our Faithful Finish Lines group share the exact products they love plus I share lots more tips. You’ll also be registered for a free one week e-mail series with tons of printables and tips:
Important Tips for Purchasing Plus-Size Workout Clothing
- Invest in quality. Yes, I know it’s expensive, but it’s well worth it to find clothing that fits. Clothes you feel good in will seriously make the difference between if you actually go to the gym or not. Besides the clothing on this list, I recommend workout clothing from Kohls and Lane Bryant as high-quality clothes you will want to keep working out in.
- Buy athletic fabrics. “I’m not an athlete” you might say. That’s fine, but do you sweat? You need moisture-wicking material, not cotton t-shirts.
- Do not use dryer sheets with athletic wear. Over time a film builds up and they lose their moisture-wicking properties. I wash on delicate and line-dry all my workout clothes.
- Don’t be afraid of form-fitting items. (I know, scary!) But this is what’s really cool about form-fitting workout clothes — they hold it all in. I cannot have my fat jiggling all around when I work out. Form-fitting pants and shirts help. I also have loose skin from my 100 pound weight loss and form-fitting pants especially help hold it in so there is less chaffing. If need be, get some form-fitting capris and wear shorts over them.
- Try Body Glide to prevent chaffing and Gold Bond Medicated Powder if a rash develops.
- Shorts riding up? Try capri-length work-out pants. Not too hot, but no riding-up issues.
- Shoes. You need good ones, especially if you are heavier. Check out this post with tips for how to find the right workout shoes for you.
25 Fitness Wear Options for Plus-Size Women
Here are 25 plus-size workout clothing options for you to consider purchasing.
1. Spalding Women’s Plus-Size Slim-Fit Crop Pants – $20.99
3. Active Yoga Pants for Workout/Running/Yoga – $9.99
4. LL Womens Active Slim Fit Bootleg Yoga Pants – $17.59 These come in tons of colors, both full length and capri!
10. Plus Size High Waist Tummy Control Power Flex Yoga Capris – $19.99 — Tummy control! yes!
11. Sports Knee High Compression Socks for Running – $14.99
12. Just My Size Women’s Plus-Size Cooldri V-Neck Shirt – $10.00
15. Zando Women’s Modal Over The Knee Length Smooth Short Plus Size Capri Leggings, 2 Pack – $12.99 – These are thinner and work well with something else, not recommended to wear alone.
16. Danskin Now Women’s Plus-Size Dri-More Core Relaxed Fit Workout Pants – $19.99 – These are more what I would recommend for around the house than a heavy workout, but very comfortable.
17. Champion Women’s Mesh Short – $19.99
18. Sumtory Women Breathe Fitness Active Yoga Tops Long Sleeve Back Lip Hole Shirt – $16.38 — These are super-cute but note that they run small.
19. Glamorise Women’s No-Bounce Full-Support Sport Bra – $26.99
21. Just My Size Women’s Active Lifestyle Wire Free Bra – $24.99
22. Yoga Shorts for Women with Hidden Pocket – $13.99
23. Champion Women’s Infinity Shape Heather Sports Bra – $17.17
24. Cool Relaxed Loose Fit Rayon Knit Racerback Sports Tank Tops, 2 Pack – $21.99 – These are a looser fitting top, great to wear with more form-fitting capris.
Fast Action Guide Things No One Ever Told Me About Fitness...When I Was Overweight and Out of Shape +
Free one week course:
Real Fitness. Healthy Eating. New You: The Busy Woman's Mini-Course.